Saturday 31 July 2010

Jenny Wren

When I was in school, for wet weather we wore our  Burberry Macs {Remember them ?} Vintage Burberry they would be now :0) and just think what they would now cost. And my very first  Burberry had a picture of a Jenny Wren Tab inside the collar............Of course this was picked up on  by teachers and kids as my name was Jennifer, and I was frequently called Jenny Wren, which I loathed
Ironically, now as wrens frequently build nests in my garden, and they really are very entertaining birds especially when they have fledglings, my animosity towards the name Jenny Wren  has disappeared...........I think !      
And do you remember Clarks children's sandals, we used to wear them with white socks, or just with bare feet,they had crepe soles, that used to stick to the tarmac on really scorching days. Very comfortable, wish you could still get them now and  in adult sizes, great for slopping around the place. As you can read I'm having a bit of a remiss, thinking of all that was once available that now isn't.    Ra Ra skirts and the multitude of petticoats you needed to make them stick out, which in turn had to be rinsed in a 'sugardip'  each time they were washed to bring back their stiffness, and the obligatory wide elastic belt to cinch your waist in, and wearing your cardigans back to front { you couldn't afford sweaters and cardigans} Toreador pants, and fluorescent socks,  Pearlized shoes and pearlized stockings to go with them, in shades of Grey and  Bronze and Blue...Raglan and Dolman sleeves, shirt-waisters..............Panstick { Blimey can still get that, I remember it more for its smell Yuck !}  and block mascara, pinching Mums Eau-de-cologne and lavender water.
Well Burberry at least has come a long way from Macs  Well I never !       ;0)

No comments: